Skip to main content
Business Insurance

Are Business Insurance Payouts Taxable in the UK? A Comprehensive Guide

blackish background with letter dice spelling out tax deductions next to a yellow calculator

The COVID-19 pandemic brought the issue of business interruption insurance payouts to the forefront:

With many businesses seeking compensation for losses incurred due to lockdowns and restrictions. While the legal battles surrounding these payouts have largely been settled, the tax implications of such settlements remain a complex issue for many business owners.
In this article, we delve into the specifics of business interruption insurance payouts in the UK, focusing on their tax treatment. We'll navigate through the often confusing world of tax regulations and accounting principles to provide you with a clear and comprehensive understanding of how these payouts affect your tax liability.

Understanding Business Interruption Insurance

Business interruption insurance is designed to compensate businesses for lost income and additional expenses incurred due to unforeseen events that disrupt their operations. These events could range from natural disasters like fires and floods to pandemics like COVID-19.

The cover offered by business interruption insurance policies can vary significantly, but it typically includes:

  • Loss of Gross Profit:

    Compensation for the profit the business would have earned if the interruption had not occurred.
  • Increased Cost of Working:

    Reimbursement for additional expenses incurred to keep the business running during the interruption, such as renting temporary premises or hiring extra staff.
  • Additional Increased Cost of Working:

    Cover for expenses aimed at reducing the disruption and resuming normal operations as quickly as possible, like advertising campaigns to attract customers back.

Tax Treatment of Business Interruption Payouts in the UK

The tax treatment of business interruption payouts in the UK depends on whether the payment is classified as a revenue or capital receipt.
  • Revenue Receipts:

    These are payments intended to replace lost trading income. They are considered taxable income and subject to corporation tax (for limited companies) or income tax (for sole traders/partnerships). This includes compensation for loss of gross profit, increased cost of working, and additional increased cost of working.
  • Capital Receipts:

    These are payments for loss or damage to physical assets, such as buildings or equipment. They are generally not taxable unless there is a profit on the disposal of the replaced asset, which could be subject to capital gains tax.
Additionally, it's important to note that the recent legal battles over COVID-19 related claims have highlighted the importance of understanding the specific wording of your policy and seeking professional advice to ensure you receive the correct compensation and tax treatment.

Calculating Taxable Income

When determining the taxable income from a business interruption payout, it's crucial to consider any deductions you've made for insurance premiums. If you've claimed tax relief on your insurance premiums, the corresponding payout amount will be subject to tax.
For example, if you received a £100,000 payout and claimed £20,000 in tax relief on your premiums, only £80,000 of the payout would be considered taxable income.

Additional Considerations
  • Timing of Payouts:

    The timing of when you receive the payout can affect your tax liability. If you receive a lump sum, it will be taxed in the year it's received. If you receive the payout in instalments, each instalment will be taxed in the year it's received.
  • Accounting Methods:

    The way you account for the payout can also affect your tax liability. If you use the accruals basis of accounting, you'll account for the payout when it's earned, not when it's received. If you use the cash basis of accounting, you'll account for the payout when it's received.

Seeking Professional Advice
The tax treatment of business interruption payouts can be complex and varies depending on individual circumstances. Therefore, it's strongly recommended to seek professional advice from a qualified accountant or tax advisor. They can help you determine the correct tax treatment of your payout and ensure you comply with all relevant UK tax regulations.
  • Important Note:
    This article is intended for informational purposes only and should not be considered tax advice. Always consult with a qualified professional for advice tailored to your specific situation.

UK Business Taxes: An FAQ for Business Owners

1. How much tax will my business pay? - (click to expand)
The amount of tax your UK business pays depends on various factors, including:
  • Business structure: Sole traders pay income tax on their profits, while limited companies pay corporation tax.
  • Profit level: Tax rates vary depending on your business's profits.
  • Allowable deductions: You can reduce your tax bill by deducting eligible business expenses.

2. How does business tax work? - (click to expand)

  • Sole traders: File a Self Assessment tax return annually to declare income and expenses. Income tax is then calculated based on your profit.
  • Limited companies: File a Company Tax Return annually, reporting profits and paying corporation tax based on the applicable rate.

3. What is the business tax rate? - (click to expand)
  • Income Tax (Sole traders): Varies depending on your income level. The basic rate for 2023/24 is 20%, the higher rate is 40%, and the additional rate is 45%.
  • Corporation Tax (Limited companies): The standard rate for 2023/24 is 19%.

4. When is the business tax deadline? - (click to expand)

  • Sole traders: The Self Assessment tax return is due by 31st January following the end of the tax year (5th April).
  • Limited companies: The Company Tax Return is due 12 months after the end of your accounting period.

5. Are business loan repayments tax deductible? - (click to expand)
The interest paid on business loans is usually tax-deductible, but the capital repayments are not.
6. Can business gifts be tax deductible? - (click to expand)
Some business gifts can be tax deductible if they meet certain criteria, such as being of a trivial value or given to employees. However, there are specific rules and limits, so it's best to consult with an accountant or tax advisor.
7. Are business tax returns public records? - (click to expand)
No, business tax returns are not public records in the UK. They are confidential and only shared with authorised bodies like HMRC.
8. Where to get a business tax ID number? - (click to expand)

  • Sole traders: Your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number is your business tax ID. You'll receive this when you register for Self Assessment.
  • Limited companies: Your company registration number, issued by Companies House, serves as your business tax ID.

9. Which business expenses are tax deductible? - (click to expand)
Common tax-deductible expenses include:

Remember, expenses must be "wholly and exclusively" for business purposes to be deductible.
10. What are business tax write-offs? - (click to expand)

Tax write-offs, also known as allowable deductions, are expenses you can deduct from your business income to reduce your taxable profit and therefore your tax bill.

(See Q9.)
Important Note:
Tax laws can be complex and change over time. It's always recommended to consult with an accountant or tax advisor for personalised advice on your specific business situation.

Primo, Tailored Cover, and Expert Quotations

Professional Advice
Tailored Cover for Bricklaying Contractors in the UK, Protecting Your Brickwork Projects with | Primo
Professional Advice
Comprehensive Cover for Building Projects and Contractors in the UK, Protecting Your Projects and Business Assets | Primo
Professional Advice
Protect Your Business with Comprehensive Cover | Top UK Insurers | Professional Brokerage Support | Primo
Professional Advice
Expertly arranged UK electricians' insurance by professional brokers—customised cover for your business needs. Protect your work with confidence! | Primo
Professional Advice
Cover for Groundwork and Civil Engineering Trades in the UK, Comprehensive Policies for All Groundwork Needs | Primo
Professional Advice
Public liability, product liability & tools & equipment cover for HVACR contractors. Get a quote | Primo
Professional Advice
Public liability, employers' liability & tools & equipment cover for professional landscapers & gardeners. | Primo
Professional Advice
Comprehensive Protection for Lift Installation, Maintenance, Repair, Modernisation & All Aspects of the Lift Industry | Primo
Two painters covering a wall in red paint
Professional Advice
Public & employers' liability, tools, equipment & materials cover for decorating professionals | Primo
plasterer covering a wall
Professional Advice
Public liability, employers' liability, contract works & tools & equipment cover for plastering professionals. | Primo

    Three tips to help save you time obtaining quotes!

    Listing your details, answering specific questions about your business such as your industry, number of employees, and types of equipment, and then repeating this process with every broker or insurer you speak to consumes much of your time. This is because each broker or insurer needs this specific information about your business to provide an accurate quote, and this process can be time-consuming if you need more preparation.
    Like anyone's, your time has value and is often better spent obtaining new business. It's no wonder many business owners accept a quote after only speaking to one or two brokerages.
    We've streamlined the process for you. By following these three simple steps, you can significantly cut down on the time spent on insurance renewals each year. This translates to more time for your core business activities, less stress, and a more efficient insurance renewal process.
    • Lists:
      Keep a comprehensive list of all your equipment and assets (staff, fleet, machinery, equipment, buildings, etc.). Ensure this is in a format usable on a PC, such as .pdf, .txt, .csv, or .doc, and keep it up to date. When it's time to renew or arrange your insurance, you won't need to recall, list, or enter all of these details when communicating with your broker. If you use an online quote facility, it's much simpler to copy and paste than to type everything out.
    • Proposal:
      Keep a copy if you fill out a proposal form or are given a completed one (usually after your first quote). This copy can serve as a reference for future insurance renewals or when seeking additional quotes. For instance, if you're a construction company and you've just received a quote for your fleet of vehicles, keep a copy of the proposal form. You can email this to your broker or other brokers for more quotes, enabling you to compare and choose the best option for your business.
    • Update:
      Remember, if your circumstances or equipment undergo changes, it's crucial to inform your broker promptly. This proactive approach ensures that your insurance is always based on the most accurate and current data, providing you with peace of mind and preventing any potential coverage gaps.
    At Primo, our guide "Are Business Insurance Payouts Taxable in the UK?" provides a comprehensive overview of the tax implications of business insurance payouts. We explain when these payouts are taxable income and when they are not, detailing different types of insurance like property, liability, and business interruption. The guide also covers tax treatment for various business structures and offers practical advice for managing your tax liabilities effectively. This resource is designed to help business owners navigate the complexities of UK insurance payouts and tax regulations.