Skip to main content

"I wouldn't trust anyone other than Primo with my insurance needs."

At Primo, we like all our clients to feel this way

Car Insurance

Automotive Insurance

Let us find the right policy for you and your vehicle, with extra cover options to provide you with more protection and flexibility.

Available through Primo

Required Insurance

You must have motor insurance to drive your vehicle on UK roads. Any vehicle taxed for road use must have at least the legal minimum car insurance cover.

Third party car insurance is the legal minimum. This means you’re covered if you have an accident causing damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or property. Third party insurance doesn’t however cover any other costs like repair to your own vehicle.

Comprehensive Cover

This is the highest level of cover available and covers the following:

  • Injuries to other people and damage to their vehicles or property.
  • Accidental damage to your own vehicle including loss by fire or theft.
  • Cover for your vehicle windscreen, side windows and rear window. This in most cases will not affect your claims bonus.

Third party fire and theft

Excludes cover for accidental damage but covers the following:

  • Injuries to other people and damage to their vehicles or property
  • Damage to your own vehicle if caused by fire or theft

Third Party Only

This is the minimum cover required by Law in the UK and covers the following:

  • Injuries to other people and damage to their vehicles or property

Laid-up cover (Accidental damage, fire and theft)

This cover does not allow for use on UK roads but gives cover for vehicles that have been laid up and kept SORN (Statutory off road notification must be given to DVLA)

Cover Options

Click a listed cover option for more information such as why you may or may not need this extra cover.

Let's get you covered as quickly and simply as possible

Executive leaning against a wall

Your Broker

Always speak to a real person. You will have an assigned broker.
holding a mobile phone and a coffee


Our brokers ensure obtaining your insurance is simple and straightforward
Woman calling for assistance after an accident


Should you need to make a claim please call the number below

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How long is my car insurance quote valid for?

    All the insurance quotes we arrange are valid for 30 days. Should you come back to us after the 30 day period we will run through the quote again for you.

    After 30 days there may be a change in the premium offered and may cost more than your original quote.

  • What cover options are available?

    There are three levels of cover available third party only, third party, fire and theft and fully comprehensive.

    To see what each of these levels of cover provide please take a look at the descriptions above.

  • Will my choice of car affect the cost of my premium?

    The simple answer is yes it will. It depends on which group your car falls into, lower numbered groups cost less to insure while those in a higher group will cost more.

    Groups are usually set with factors such as engine size, cost of repair etc. There are currently 50 groups one of which will include your vehicle.

  • What are premiums and excess?

    Your premium will be the cost of your insurance policy and will either be paid up front or in 12 monthly payments.

    The excess is a small payment you make when you need to claim. Excess is made up of two parts compulsory and voluntary. Compulsory is set by your insurer and the voluntary is set by you.

    It may be tempting to set your voluntary excess low or even at zero, however, the higher your voluntary excess the cheaper your premium will be.

  • If I need to make a claim who should I contact?

    If you have just had an accident your first contact should be the police and your insurer.

Additional cover options explained

If you don't understand how protected no claims bonus works or unsure how you are covered when driving abroad, this may help.
Woman sat in a vehicle smiling

Protected no claims bonus

Pay an additonal amount on top of your insurance premium to safeguard your no claims bonus. Having a protected no claims bonus ensures if you did have to make a claim your no claims bonus wouldn't be adversely affected.

Courtesy car

In the event of being unable to use your vehicle you may be given access to a coutesy car. Depending on the insurer there can be exclusions to being offered a coutesy car so always check with your broker.
Key to a coutesy car
The arc de triomphe

Foreign Use

Policyholders driving UK-registered vehicles require a Green Card to drive in the EU, EEA and other countries from 1 January 2021. The cover will typically be the same while you are inside the European Union. Cover will often have a time limit of 30 days and if you travel outside of the European Union you will have to notify your insurer.
You will need to contact your insurer. Cover for DOC is not always included by default. Some insurers include it, but some don't. Never assume. Call your insurer and check you're covered before getting behind the wheel of someone else's vehicle.
Car park full of cars
a photo of a selection of personal belongings

Personal Belongings

Should your personal belongings be lost due to fire, theft or accidental damage they will be replaced upto an agreed amount. There may be some exclusions and amounts covered may vary from insurer to insurer.


Many of the insurers we place cover with offer breakdown and rescue. Arranged with a UK recognised breakdown recovery organisation it will offer you roadside assistance, recovery, at-home assistance and onward travel.
Engine bay with someone removing oil dipstick
Judges gavel

Motor legal Expenses or Uninsured Loss Recover

Uninsured loss recovery provides you cover for legal expenses to pursue a guilty third party to recover your uninsured losses. Uninsured losses may include policy excess, vehicle hire charges, and other costs caused by third-party negligence – as well as the cost of pursuing a personal injury claim.

Need help?

Call us at 01702 225 440

Or use our live chat

Have us call you!

Within 24 hours or next working day