Skip to main content

"They really did their homework and now my business is secure thanks to Primo."

At Primo, we like all our clients to feel this way

Building Contractors Insurance

Insurance for Construction Businesses

Wide range of construction insurance options from secure UK A-rated insurers. Company schemes that encompass every area of your business to provide you with the most comprehensive cover you can find. Our team will do all the leg work and will ensure you are covered correctly and also receive a very competitive premium.

Arranged by Primo

Required Insurance

Construction insurance for contractors can be a complex business and it often pays to have an insurance expert who understands your industry as well as building contractors insurance on your side.

Primo can provide you with the expertise and insurance knowledge you need to ensure you have the correct levels of cover, competitive premiums and the security of knowing your insurance will not leave you out of pocket when you need it most.

  • Public Liability

    Protects your business against finacial loss arising from a claim for damage or injury to a third party.

  • Professional Indemnity

    Covers legal liability for claims made against you for an alledged breach of your professional duty

  • Employers Liability

    A legal requirement for employers of paid or voluntary full or part-time staff and covers them for damage or injury whilst in your employ.

Let's get you covered as quickly and simply as possible

London underground sign

Hazardous Locations

We can quote for work in hazardous locations such as London Underground. Unrestricted height and depth.
person looking down from the top of a crane

Larger Firms

We can provide quotes and cover on premiums up to £250,000. 90% minimum and deposit option.
Lighting effect creating the letter A

Your Security

Two year LTAs (Long Term Agreements) and all insurance is secured from an A-rated insurance provider.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need public liability insurance?

    Whilst not a legal requirement we highly recommend you obtain this cover to protect you against the costs and damages claims arising from a negligent act causing injury or damage to a third party. It gives you that peace of mind to know that in the event of a claim you have your insurer defending and protecting you.
  • Is business insurance a legal requirement?

    Most business insurance is not a legal requirement, however, we do highly recommend you obtain this cover to protect you against the costs and damages claims arising from a negligent act causing injury or damage to a third party or resulting fire, weather related incidents or a break in. It gives you that peace of mind to know that in the event of a claim you have your insurer defending and protecting you.

    The only insurance that your business is legally obliged to obtain is employers liability and vehicle insurance.

  • Can I pay in monthly instalments?

    You can pay monthly subject to your status and the size of the premium the credit charge and terms will vary.
  • What if I need to change my level of cover?

    As an existing client you can call or email us with any changes during business hours and get advice on the changes you wish to make.

  • If I need to make a claim who should I contact?

    First and foremost always contact your insurer, should you need assistance or advice following that call speak to your broker who will be happy to assist you where they can.

Let's get you covered as quickly and simply as possible

Cover for your vehicles, plant and machinery

Small white commercial vehicle

Business Vehicles

Comprehensive, third party, fire & theft or third party only cover arranged for your business' vehicles or commercial fleet.
Person sat in a crane on building site

Plant and Machinery

Consider adding annual insurance cover for owned or hired-in plant and machinery to your business cover.

Helpful Articles for Building Contractors

Information Contractors Need to Know

With new regulations and the onset of the Insurance Act many contractors that work in the construction industry may be in for some nasty surprises when renewing their insurance.

Are you Covered for Special Risks?

How often does your broker actually go through all the exclusions and pair them with work or contracts you have undertaken in the past to make sure you are covered correctly?

Liability Insurance: How Much Is Enough?

Though you know that you need liability insurance as a contractor, it is not always easy to pick the right insurance package or know the exact cover options you need for your business.

Finding you the right cover at the right time.

Tailoring your cover to match your business' needs is something we pride ourselves on at Primo. See below for typical examples of cover and options you may require.
green and white cement lorry at construction site

Contractors All Risk

Provides cover for damage to property and also damage or injury to third-parties. Damage to property can include incorrect construction, renovation damage or damage to temporary work on sites. C.A.R. policies are typically taken out by both the contractor and the employer and may have others such as finance companies named in the policy.

Contract Works

Some construction projects you undertake will make you responsible for partially completed work. For instance, you're in the middle of building a house, and a flood destroys the work you have done contract works insurance could cover the cost of redoing that work. Your broker will help you determine the right level of cover needed.
Two people discuss a contract
Lock up garages numbered 9, 8, 7

Business Premises

What is Covered? Your buildings, fixtures and fittings: including gates, fences, car parks, as well as underground cables and pipes. It may also include cover for stock and cash on the premises and in some cases it can also provide for seasonal stock increases free of charge.

Business Interruption

If your business needs to close after a disaster like a flood or a fire, perhaps even after a forced entry business interruption insurance covers the shortfall in your business' income.
Man interrupts woman working
3 stacks of 2 portacabins

Temporary Buildings

Whether it's a portacabin or a row of portaloos most construction sites have temporary buildings. Temporary buildings cover often provided with a C.A.R. policy covers loss or damage to these temporary structures and may cover any plant or tools stored in them.

Commercial Fleet

For more information on our motor fleet policy please click on the link below.
Small grey van
digger in a quarry

Plant and Machinery

Please see our dedicated page on plant and machinery insurance. Cover for hired-in or owned plant and machinery.

JCT 21.2.1

In the case of most damage to a third-party property a claim would be made against the negligent party and compensation would be covered by their liability insurance, however, what if a third party property is damaged due to building works where no-one has been negligent? That's where JCT insurance comes in.
rolled up documnets
selection of various tools

Tools, Materials & Equipment

Often included as part of a contractors insurance policy this covers loss or damage to contractors tools, equipment and materials while they are secured on-site.

Architect Plans

Covers the cost of replacement due to loss or damage of architects drawings. Usually covered as part of a contractors all risks policy.
architects drawings laid out on table
Show home kitchen

Showhome Contents

Where a completed works include a showhome contractors all risks policies will typically include cover for it's contents as standard.

Properties Awaiting Sale

Also known as completed works, properties awaiting sale are covered until sold or for a number of days following the completion of the property. If the property remains unsold you may want to arrange standalone unoccupied property insurance.
key ring with keys attached

Need help?

Call us at 01702 225 440

Or use our live chat

Have us call you!

Within 24 hours or next working day