Skip to main content

"Primo offered better coverage than our best trade paint, thanks guys."

At Primo, we like all our clients to feel this way

Painters' and Decorators' Insurance

Comprehensive Protection Tailored for Your Business

Welcome to our dedicated page for painters' and decorators' insurance, where we delve into the intricacies of protecting your business and assets in the dynamic world of painting and decorating. As experienced insurance brokers serving the UK market, we understand the unique risks and challenges faced by professionals in this industry. Let's explore how the right insurance coverage can safeguard your livelihood and give you peace of mind.

Arranged by Primo

Understanding the Risks

Painters and decorators work in diverse environments, from residential properties to commercial sites, and tackle a wide range of tasks, including surface preparation, painting, wallpapering, and more. While these skills showcase your expertise, they also expose your business to potential risks such as accidental damage, injuries, or claims of negligence. Without adequate insurance protection, these risks can translate into significant financial losses and damage to your reputation.

Tailored Coverage Solutions

Our role as insurance brokers is to understand your unique business needs and tailor insurance solutions that provide comprehensive coverage. Here are key insurance types we recommend for painters and decorators:
  • Public Liability Insurance:

    Protects you against claims for injury or property damage to third parties during your work activities. Accidental spills, ladder mishaps, or damage to clients' property are examples where this coverage proves invaluable.
  • Employer's Liability Insurance:

    If you have employees or hire subcontractors, this insurance is a legal requirement. It covers claims from employees for work-related injuries or illnesses, ensuring compliance and financial protection.
  • Tools and Equipment Insurance:

    Safeguards your valuable tools and equipment against theft, damage, or loss, whether on-site, in transit, or stored at your premises.
  • Professional Indemnity Insurance:

    Provides protection against claims of professional negligence, errors, or omissions in your work, offering financial support for legal costs and compensation.
  • Business Interruption Insurance:

    Covers loss of income and ongoing expenses if your business operations are disrupted due to insured events like fire, flood, or other perils.
  • Personal Accident Insurance:

    Provides financial support in case of accidental injury or disability, offering peace of mind for you and your family's financial security.

Risk Management and Compliance

Beyond insurance, we emphasise risk management strategies to reduce potential hazards and lower insurance costs. This includes promoting safety protocols, ensuring proper training for employees, using recommended safety gear and equipment, and adhering to industry standards and regulations. Compliance with safety measures not only mitigates risks but also reflects positively during insurance assessments.

Navigating Claims with Confidence

In the unfortunate event of a claim, we're your trusted partners in navigating the claims process efficiently. Our team assists in documenting incidents, liaising with insurers, and advocating for fair and timely settlements, allowing you to focus on your business without undue stress.

Cost-Effective Solutions

We understand that managing costs is crucial for your business. Our expertise lies in offering cost-effective insurance solutions without compromising on essential coverage. We work with reputable insurers, negotiate competitive premiums, and review your coverage regularly to align with your evolving business needs.

Why Choose Us as Your Insurance Broker?

  • Industry Expertise:

    We specialise in insurance for painters and decorators, understanding the nuances of your trade and the risks you face daily.
  • Personalised Service:

    We take the time to understand your business, offering bespoke insurance solutions tailored to your specific requirements.
  • Claims Support:

    Our dedicated claims team ensures prompt and efficient handling of claims, advocating for your best interests throughout the process.
  • Risk Management Advice:

    Beyond insurance, we provide proactive risk management advice to enhance safety practices and reduce potential liabilities.
  • Long-Term Partnerships:

    We believe in building lasting relationships, providing ongoing support as your business grows and evolves.

Get Started Today

Protecting your painting and decorating business starts with the right insurance coverage. Contact us today for a comprehensive insurance review, tailored recommendations, and a competitive quote. Let's safeguard your business together, allowing you to focus on what you do best – creating beautiful spaces for your clients.
Chalk board with the words, where do I start?, written in white chalk
Simply fill out our quote form with as much detail as possible. Once our brokers receive your form they will begin the quote process.
Chalkboard with question written in white and we can help in yellow
Your assigned broker is happy to answer your concerns. Alternatively check out the FAQ directly below.
Chalkboard with consulting written across the middle.
Okay so you're all covered, that peace of mind is great. But should you ever require our help further request a callback.

Cover Options

Click a listed cover option for more information such as why you may or may not need this extra cover.
Chalk board with the words, where do I start?, written in white chalk
Simply fill out our quote form with as much detail as possible. Once our brokers receive your form they will begin the quote process.
Chalkboard with question written in white and we can help in yellow
Your assigned broker is happy to answer your concerns. Alternatively check out the FAQ directly below.
Chalkboard with consulting written across the middle.
Okay so you're all covered, that peace of mind is great. But should you ever require our help further request a callback.

Painters' & Decorators' Insurance FAQ: Comprehensive Cover for Your Trade | Primo

  • What is painters' and decorators' insurance?

    Painters' and decorators' insurance is a shield of protection for professionals in the painting and decorating industry. It provides a safety net, covering various risks and liabilities that painters and decorators face, offering security and peace of mind.
  • What types of coverage are included in painters' and decorators' insurance?

    Painters' and decorators' insurance typically includes public liability insurance, which protects against third-party injury or property damage claims. It may also include professional indemnity insurance, which differs from public liability insurance. Professional indemnity insurance covers errors or omissions in your work that may cause financial loss to your clients. It may also include employer's liability insurance (if you have employees), tools and equipment insurance, and personal accident insurance.
  • Why is public liability insurance important for painters and decorators?

    Public liability insurance is crucial for painters and decorators because it protects them from financial losses due to claims for injury or property damage caused to third parties during their work activities. For example, if a ladder accidentally damages a client's property, this insurance can cover repair or replacement costs.
  • Do painter's and decorators' insurance cover accidental damage to client property?

    Yes, painters' and decorators' insurance often covers accidental damage to client property. This cover can help pay for repairs or replace damaged items caused by the insured's work activities, such as spills, drops, or other accidental damage.
  • Is employer's liability insurance necessary for sole traders in the painting and decorating industry?

    Employer's liability insurance is legally required for businesses that employ staff, including sole traders who hire employees or apprentices. It covers employee claims for work-related injuries or illnesses sustained during their employment.
  • What factors determine the cost of painters' and decorators' insurance?

    The cost of painters' and decorators' insurance is influenced by factors such as the size of the business, annual turnover, number of employees (if any), coverage limits required, claims history, types of projects undertaken, and the level of risk associated with the business activities.
  • Can painter's and decorators' insurance cover tools and equipment?

    Yes, painters and decorators' insurance can include coverage for tools and equipment used during business operations. This coverage helps repair or replace tools and equipment that's lost, stolen, or damaged due to covered perils. Covered perils refer to specific events or circumstances, such as fire, theft, or accidental damage, listed in your insurance policy and for which you are insured.
  • What is professional indemnity insurance, and why is it essential for painters and decorators?

    Professional indemnity insurance protects painters and decorators against successful claims arising from professional negligence, errors, or omissions. It reimburses legal costs and compensation payments if a client claims your work caused them financial loss or damage.
  • Are there specific safety requirements that painters and decorators must meet to qualify for insurance coverage?

    Insurers may require painters and decorators to adhere to safety regulations and best practices relevant to their industry. This includes using the proper personal protective equipment (PPE), following safe work procedures, and complying with health and safety standards to reduce risks.
  • Does painter's and decorators' insurance cover work on high-risk projects such as working at heights or on hazardous surfaces?

    Yes, painters and decorators insurance can cover work on high-risk projects, including tasks performed at heights or on hazardous surfaces. For instance, if you're painting the exterior of a tall building or working with lead-based paint, these would be considered high-risk projects. However, insurers may assess such risks during underwriting and require evidence of safety measures and training to mitigate these risks.
  • Can painter's and decorators' insurance cover claims related to faulty artistry or materials?

    Depending on the policy terms, painters' and decorators' insurance may cover faulty workmanship or materials claims. This coverage can protect against financial losses resulting from defects in work performed or issues from using substandard materials.
  • How does the claims process work under painters and decorators' insurance?

    Painters and decorators should notify their insurance provider promptly in the event of a claim. The insurer will investigate the claim, assess liability, and, if valid, provide coverage for damages, legal expenses, or compensation as per the policy terms and coverage limits.
  • Can painter's and decorators' insurance cover business interruption due to unforeseen events?

    Yes, some painters and decorators' insurance policies offer coverage for business interruption due to events like fire, flood, or other insured perils that disrupt business operations. This coverage assists in replacing lost income and covers ongoing expenses during the downtime. Ongoing costs can include rent or mortgage payments, utility bills, salaries or wages for employees, and other regular business costs that continue even when your company is temporarily closed or unable to operate at total capacity.
  • Are there additional coverages that painters and decorators should consider beyond basic insurance policies?

    Painters and decorators may consider additional coverages such as cyber liability insurance (for data protection), tools in transit insurance (for tools being transported to job sites), contract works insurance (for ongoing projects), and legal expenses insurance for disputes.
  • How can painters and decorators reduce insurance premiums?

    To reduce insurance premiums, painters and decorators can implement risk management practices such as maintaining a good safety record, investing in security for tools and equipment, updating valuations regularly, and choosing appropriate coverage limits. Additionally, when comparing quotes from multiple insurers, it's essential to consider the coverage offered, the insurer's reputation and financial stability, and the level of customer service provided. This can help you find the best insurance policy for your requirements at the most competitive price.
  • Does the painter's and decorators' insurance cover subcontractors' work for the insured business?

    Cover for subcontractors and trades may vary depending on the policy terms. Some painter's and decorators' insurance policies may extend coverage to subcontractors under certain conditions, while others may require subcontractors to carry their insurance.
  • Can painter's and decorators' insurance cover claims for environmental damage or pollution caused during work?

    Environmental liability coverage may be available as an add-on or separate policy for painters and decorators working with materials that could cause environmental harm. This coverage can protect against pollution, contamination, or environmental damage claims.
  • Can I make changes to a painter and decorator insurance policy mid-term?

    Policyholders can make mid-term changes to their painters and decorators insurance policies. This flexibility allows for updating coverage limits, adding or removing coverage options, or adjusting insured values, putting you in control of your insurance needs.
  • What projects are typically covered under painters and decorators' insurance policies?

    Painters and decorators' insurance offers comprehensive coverage, spanning many projects. Whether it's residential painting and decorating, commercial and industrial projects, interior and exterior work, renovation projects, specialist coatings applications, or restoration work, you can be confident that your insurance covers you.
  • How do painters' and decorators' insurance address claims for injuries to workers or subcontractors on a job site?

    Painters and decorators insurance typically includes employer's liability insurance, which covers claims for injuries or illnesses sustained by employees or subcontractors during work activities. This coverage extends to medical expenses, lost wages, and legal costs associated with such claims.

Other Insurance For Consideration

Commercial Fleet Insurance

Driver getting in his van
Comprehensive, third party, fire and theft or third party only cover arranged for your business' vehicles.

Plant and Machinery Insurance

Commercial property insurance headed page on a clipboard with a blue background
Consider adding annual insurance cover for owned or hired-in plant and machinery to your business cover.

Commercial Property Insurance

Clipboard with a sheet of paper titled commercial property insurance
Do you need commercial property insurance in addition to liability cover? We can also arrange as a standalone policy.

Help with choosing the right cover options for your business.

We can advise on a wide range of insurance products and help you find what you need.
Two people look over a contract

Contract Works

Some projects you undertake will make you responsible for partially completed work. For instance, you're in the middle of painting a house, and a storm destroys the work you have done contract works insurance could cover the cost of redoing that work. Your broker will help you determine the right level of cover needed.

Own Plant and Tools

Provided cover is for the replacement of your tools, plant and equipment due to theft, loss or damage.
Red scissor lift called Skyjack bright red against the white wall it's sat beside
Painters and decorators tools and equipment assortment

Employees' Tools

Covers the cost of replacement of employees tools which have been stolen, lost or damaged. The amount covered may be for a fixed amount and will depend on the insurer.
Covers the replacement value of hired-in plant and equipment. Hire companies will normally insist on some type of cover to be in place before hire commences.
Driver operating a crane
Six temporary buildings stack 3 on the bottom and three on top

Temporary Buildings

Whether it's a portacabin or a row of portaloos these are considered temporary buildings. Temporary buildings covers loss or damage to these temporary structures and may cover any plant or tools stored in them.


The materials you use on site can be expensive to replace, so ensuring your sums insured covers the replacement cost of your materials is essential. Typically materials will be covered under a contractors all risks policy.
tins of paint with all different coloured lids
a grey van

Commercial Fleet

For more information on our motor fleet policy please click on the link below.

Legal Expenses

Covers the cost associated with obtaining legal advice and/or the costs involved when bringing or defending a court case. The policy conditions and the amounts covered vary from insurers so check with your broker.
judges gavel
Need Insurance help?

Call us at 01702 225 440

Brokers are available 9 am till 5 pm Mon-Fri.
Have us call you!

Within 24 hours or next working day

Professional Insurance Advice
Follow us