Skip to main content

"Primo tied our equipment insurance in with our liabilities."

At Primo, we like all our clients to feel this way

Plant and Machinery Insurance

Plant Insurance - Owned or Hired-In Cover Specialists

Annual insurance for contractors plant and machinery whether owned or hired-in, competitive insurance premiums arranged without comprimising on cover.

Arranged by Primo

Own Plant

One of the largest investments contractors make is in purchasing specialised equipment such as plant and machinery. We have several insurers who are able to cover plant separately or include it in a contractors all risk policy.

We can arrange cover to contractors in respect of damage to contractors plant and equipment owned by or on a deferred purchase or lease to the proposer, while situated or in transit anywhere within the territorial limits.

When obtaining a quote for plant insurance we can either look at covering your plant item by item or offer a blanket based policy which will cover you to an upper value limit.

Hired in Plant

As with anything you hire, responsibility for keeping the hired item safe and in good condition lands squarely on your shoulders. Hired-in plant and machinery is no different.

The insurance provided by our market providers is in respect of damage to contractors plant and equipment hired in by the insured, while situated or in transit anywhere within the territorial limits.

The indemnity provided by the insurers to the insured will be in respect of all sums which the insured shall be legally liable to pay for

a) Such damage and

b) For continuing hiring charges levied upon the insured in consequence of such damage.

Cover Details

  • Covers plant, tools, and machinery against fire, theft, malicious damage, accidental damage, and continuing hire charges.
  • Up to £100,000 limit of indemnity
  • Cover available anywhere in the UK

Cover Available

Chalk board with the words, where do I start?, written in white chalk
Simply fill out our quote form with as much detail as possible. Once our brokers receive your form they will begin the quote process.
Chalkboard with question written in white and we can help in yellow
Your assigned broker is happy to answer your concerns. Alternatively check out the FAQ directly below.
Chalkboard with consulting written across the middle.
Okay so you're all covered, that peace of mind is great. But should you ever require our help further request a callback.

Plant Insurance FAQ: Comprehensive Coverage for Your Plant Machinery & Equipment | Primo

  • What is UK Plant Insurance, and why is it important for businesses?

    UK Plant Insurance is a specialised insurance policy designed to protect businesses that own or operate plant machinery and equipment. It is crucial for businesses as it provides financial protection against damage, theft, breakdowns, and liability risks associated with plant operations.
  • What types of plant machinery and equipment are typically covered under UK Plant Insurance?

    UK Plant Insurance typically covers a wide range of machinery and equipment used in construction, agriculture, manufacturing, and other industries. This includes excavators, bulldozers, cranes, forklifts, generators, and more.
  • What are the core components of UK Plant Insurance?

    The core components usually include plant machinery insurance (covering damage and breakdowns), liability insurance (covering third-party injury or property damage), theft insurance, and optional coverage such as business interruption insurance and hired-in plant insurance.
  • Is public liability insurance included in UK Plant Insurance policies?

    Yes, public liability insurance is often included in UK Plant Insurance policies to protect businesses against claims from third parties for injury or property damage caused by plant machinery operations.
  • What risks does UK Plant Insurance protect against?

    UK Plant Insurance protects against risks such as accidental damage, theft, vandalism, breakdowns, fire, floods, and legal liabilities arising from plant machinery usage.
  • Are leased or hired-in plant machinery covered under UK Plant Insurance?

    Yes, many UK Plant Insurance policies offer coverage for leased or hired-in plant machinery, providing protection for businesses using equipment on a temporary basis.
  • How can businesses lower their UK Plant Insurance premiums?

    Businesses can lower premiums by implementing risk management practices, maintaining equipment in good condition, ensuring proper security measures, and reviewing coverage needs with insurance providers.
  • What steps should businesses take in the event of a plant machinery breakdown or damage?

    In case of breakdown or damage, businesses should notify their insurance provider immediately, document the incident with photos and reports, and cooperate in the claims assessment process to expedite claim resolution.
  • Does UK Plant Insurance cover plant machinery used in off-site locations?

    Yes, many UK Plant Insurance policies provide coverage for plant machinery used both on-site and off-site, including during transportation and temporary storage.
  • How can businesses ensure they have adequate coverage under UK Plant Insurance?

    Businesses should work closely with experienced insurance brokers specialising in plant insurance, accurately disclose their plant inventory, usage patterns, and operational risks, and regularly review and update insurance policies to ensure adequate coverage levels for their evolving needs.

Other Insurance For Consideration

Commercial Fleet Insurance

Driver getting in his van
Comprehensive, third party, fire and theft or third party only cover arranged for your business' vehicles or commercial fleet.

Commercial Property Insurance

Commercial property insurance headed page on a clipboard with a blue background
Do you need commercial property insurance in addition to liability cover? We can also arrange as a stand-alone policy.

Let's get you covered as quickly and simply as possible

Help with choosing the right cover options for your business.

multi-coloured umbrellas hanging in the air

Public Liability

Protects you and your business financially against claims made by third parties for injury or loss or damage to property as a result of negligence.

Product's Liability

Product liability covers manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, retailers, and others who make or recommend products to their clients and are then held liable for any injuries the product causes.
Worker holding an electric angle grinder
Contractor looking at architect's drawings

Professional Indemnity

Covers your legal fees and compensation payments that may arise from a client taking legal action against you, this may be due to a mistake you made when providing professional services, advice or designs.
Employer's liability is a legal requirement in the UK whether you hire paid or voluntary staff on a permanant or temporary basis. There are some exemptions.
Man facing away wearing a t-shirt with staff written across it
Green and white cement mixer at building site

Contractors' All Risk

Provides cover for damage to property and also damage or injury to third-parties. Damage to property can include incorrect construction, renovation damage or damage to temporary work on sites. C.A.R. policies are typically taken out by both the contractor and the employer and may have others such as finance companies named in the policy.

Commercial Combined

A comprehensive cover solution that ties together all the most common cover policies into one single easy to manage policy. It was primarily designed for small business owners.
Woman wearing hard hat inspecting bridge
Man and woman looking at a contract

Contract Works

Some construction projects you undertake will make you responsible for partially completed work. For instance, you're in the middle of building a house, and a flood destroys the work you have done contract works insurance could cover the cost of redoing that work.

JCT 21.2.1

Covers you for monetary loss which may arise as the result of a claim brought against you for an injury or damage to any property which is not directly attributable to negligence but as a result of work you are undertaking.
several contracts and plans rolled up in a stack
Need Insurance help?

Call us at 01702 225 440

Brokers are available 9 am till 5 pm Mon-Fri.
Have us call you!

Within 24 hours or next working day

Professional Insurance Advice
Follow us