Skip to main content

"We value precision and Primo were very precise with our Insurance."

At Primo, we like all our clients to feel this way

Steel Fabricator Insurance

Steel Fabricators and Welders Insurance

Cover arranged for steel fabricators and welders whether premises based, site based or mobile, correct cover with competitive premiums​.

Arranged by Primo

Insurance for UK Businesses

Welding and Steel Fabrication are both highly skilled trades that require very exacting levels of insurance cover. At Primo plc we understand the subtle nature of differences in the machinery used, working environments and the products produced by various types of metal workers and welders.

As well as steel fabricators we are able to arrange insurance for steel installers, especially those that work with architectural steel. Many welders very rarely ever work with steel but instead work with alloys in this instance a steel fabricators insurance policy is not the right answer and so our brokers will tailor the cover to suit.

  • Understanding Your Business

    A welder, who spends the majority of his time on site working as a subcontractor, needs different cover to that of a welder that operates out of a workshop. Contractors who work out of a workshop may have a large amount of tools, machinery and equipment not to mention material stocks, similar in levels to that of a steel fabricator which need to be covered.

    We choose specific underwriters who are able to offer the correct steel fabricators insurance cover requirements for your business that is our main priority when we look at making sure the premium is as competitive as we can obtain, cover first, cost second.

    We have access to specialist markets that are able to insure structural steelworkers as well as non-structural steelworkers in the UK and all cover is provided by A-rated insurers.

  • Required Insurance

    The three main insurance requirements of most businesses are

    • Public/Product Liability Insurance
    • Employers Liability Insurance
    • Professional Indemnity Insurance

Cover Extensions

Click a listed cover option for more information such as why you may or may not need this extra cover.

Tailored Insurance For

  • Stainless Steel Fabrication
  • Carbon Steel Fabrication
  • Arc, Mig, Tig and Spot Welders
  • Powder Coating
  • Shot Blasters
  • Metal Shearing and Rolling
  • Press Breaking and Box Pan Folding
  • Aluminium Fabrication
  • Pipework - Pipe Welding and Tubular Welding
  • Wrought Ironwork
  • Architectural Steel Fabricators

Your Broker

Always speak to a real person. You will have an assigned broker.


Our brokers ensure obtaining your insurance is simple and straightforward


Correctly covering your business gives you great peace of mind.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need public liability insurance?

    Whilst not a legal requirement we highly recommend you obtain this cover to protect you against the costs and damages claims arising from a negligent act causing injury or damage to a third party. It gives you that peace of mind to know that in the event of a claim you have your insurer defending and protecting you.
  • Is business insurance a legal requirement?

    Most business insurance is not a legal requirement, however, we do highly recommend you obtain this cover to protect you against the costs and damages claims arising from a negligent act causing injury or damage to a third party or resulting fire, weather related incidents or a break in. It gives you that peace of mind to know that in the event of a claim you have your insurer defending and protecting you.

    The only insurance that your business is legally obliged to obtain is employers liability and vehicle insurance.

  • Can I pay in monthly instalments?

    You can pay monthly subject to your status and the size of the premium the credit charge and terms will vary.
  • What if I need to change my level of cover?

    As an existing client you can call or email us with any changes during business hours and get advice on the changes you wish to make.

  • If I need to make a claim who should I contact?

    First and foremost always contact your insurer, should you need assistance or advice following that call speak to your broker who will be happy to assist you where they can.

Business Vehicles

Comprehensive, third party, fire & theft or third party only cover arranged for your business' vehicles or commercial fleet.

Plant and Machinery

Consider adding annual insurance cover for owned or hired-in plant and machinery to your business cover.

Commercial Property

Do you need commercial property insurance in addition to liability cover? We can also arrange as a standalone policy.

Let's get you covered as quickly and simply as possible

Help with choosing the right cover options for your business.

Not all businesses are identical that's why we help you decide and choose the best cover extensions that fit you business model.

Contractors All Risks

Provides cover for damage to property and also damage or injury to third-parties. Damage to property can include incorrect construction, renovation damage or damage to temporary work on sites. C.A.R. policies are typically taken out by both the contractor and the employer and may have others such as finance companies named in the policy.

Contract Works

Some construction projects you undertake will make you responsible for partially completed work. For instance, you're in the middle of building a house, and a flood destroys the work you have done contract works insurance could cover the cost of redoing that work. Your broker will help you determine the right level of cover needed.

Business Premises

What is Covered? Your buildings, fixtures and fittings: including gates, fences, car parks, as well as underground cables and pipes. It may also include cover for stock and cash on the premises and in some cases it can also provide for seasonal stock increases free of charge.
Please see our dedicated page on plant and machinery insurance. Cover for hired-in or owned plant and machinery.

JCT Insurance

In the case of most damage to a third-party property a claim would be made against the negligent party and compensation would be covered by their liability insurance, however, what if a third party property is damaged due to building works where no-one has been negligent? That's where JCT insurance comes in.

Business Interruption

If your business needs to close after a disaster like a flood or a fire, perhaps even after a forced entry business interruption insurance covers the shortfall in your business' income.

Tools, Materials & Equipment

Often included as part of a contractors insurance policy this covers loss or damage to contractors tools, equipment and materials while they are secured on-site.

Need help?

Call us at 01702 225 440

Or use our live chat

Have us call you!

Within 24 hours or next working day